Twin Buttes Mapping Project
Methodology Behind the Map
The first thing that we did was we measured the points between the four rocks that we spray painted in paces. We counted how many paces at what degree from one rock to the next. We then on our map converted paces to millimeters and used a protractor for the degrees. We were able to see the terrain from a birds eye view and then used the elevation to place the contour lines. The contour lines show the type of terrain and the elevation of the terrain. This project helped us to see how space is related from real life to a piece of paper.
Rube Gold Burg Project
A Rube Gold Burg is a number of steps all leading up to one simple task. The project that we did was to create one with a few challenges. It all had to last 15 seconds, It had to have 15 steps, and it had to have three simple machines. The project itself lasted around 6 weeks. We also had to design and make a digital version of our Rube and solve 8 calculations on our rube. The 8 calculations are represented as numbers on the digital version.
Day 6 Entry 1 - Yesterday we launched the Stark (our rocket) at 45 psi. It flew well but the parachute didn't deploy. Today we redesigned our parachute. Will test tomorrow.
Day 7 Entry 2 - We launched rocket at 70 psi. Top half detached from bottom bottle. Parachute ruined.
Day 8 Entry 3 - Re-glued rocket. Made new parachute. Planning to launch tomorrow.
Day 9 Entry 4 - Rocket blew in half at launch at other seem. Launched at 70 psi. Changed psi. to 60 instead of 70.
Day 10 Entry 5 - We re-glued.
Day 11 Entry 6 - Spray painted our rocket.
Day 12 Entry 7 - Spray painted another coat on rocket.
Day 13 Entry 8 - Christened "The Stark".
Day 14 Entry 9 - Mental preperation.
At the rocket launch I was very happy because my groups rocket with stood almost twice the amount of pressure at 110 psi. Although our
rockets parachute didnt deploy, I was just happy it didnt explode. I think my group worked very well together and dilligently. We had two weeks
to make our rockets and we talked about it for three weeks. If I could go back and refine our rocket more I would make sure the parachute would deploy most of the time. I think my ambition level was like an 8 out of 10
building the rocket and launching was like a 9. At landing our rocket only had a few dents and bruises but no holes and could probably fly again.
If I could do this again i would want to take more time and make the parachute work atleast 70% of the time. For advice for next years rocket launchers i would say they should stay focused and not be sidetracked by
Daves cat music and try to make a full proof parachute/landing gear.
<Data Table - Rocket Pictures/Conclusions>